Piaggio is the leader in the scooter market and it has a rich line-up that attracts all types of buyers. Of the complete international line-up which contains a series of differently styled products, one of the my favorites is the entry level 50 CC scooter Typhoon. This very compact yet potent scooter has ruled the European market in its class and to retain its position Piaggio is once again ready with the next iteration of the Typhoon 50.
The 2013 Typhoon 50 is not new by the name alone, but also features a number of serious changes that will surely prove tough on other 50 CC competitors.
First and foremost, Piaggio is offering the 2013 Typhoon 50 with an all new 4 stroke, 4 valve 50 CC engine which is better and more refined. Aside from the new engine, the Typhoon 50 is also being offered with a host of class leading features which are as follows:
- Large 14-inch wheels
- Largest fuel tank in the class
- A 220mm front disc brake
- Class leading fuel economy (115 mpg) and much more.
The scooter has been priced at $1899 and is available in US only. Color options include Shiny Black and Neptune Blue. The scooter is brilliantly designed, is easy to ride, fully automatic, and very competitively priced, and all these together make the Typhoon 50 a great deal.
- Engine type: 4-stroke 4-valve
- Cylinder capacity: 49 cc
- Bore x stroke: 39mm/41,35mm
- Max power at shaft: 3.4 kw at 9,500 rpm
- Max torque: 3.8 nm at 8,000 rpm
- Max speed: 40 mph
- Fuel tank capacity: 1.9
- Gas mileage: 144 mpg
- Distribution: sohc
- Cooling system: air
- Lubrication: wet sump
- Ignition: electronic
- Gears: ‘twist ‘n go’ automatic cvt
- Clutch: automatic centrifugal dry clutch
- Chassis: high-strength steel single cradle
- Front suspension: telescopic hydraulic fork, stroke: 76 mm
- Rear suspension: single hydraulic shock absorber, stroke: 86mm
- Front brake: 220 mm disc brake with two-piston floating caliper
- Rear brake: 140 mm drum brake
- Front tire: tubeless, 120/70 14″
- Rear tire: tubeless, 120/70 14″
- Length: 76.3
- Width: 38.3
- Wheelbase: 53.1
- Seat height: 30.3
- Dry weight: 242
- Type approval: epa and carb
Stay tuned to Ride Talks for latest updates by signing up for our free email newsletter.