Kawasaki is on a launch spree right now. It has unveiled four models at the same time; the 2013 ZX-14R, 2013 ZX-6R, 2013 Z1000 and 2013 Ninja 1000. While we have already covered the ZX-14R 2013 model, this post will be about the 2013 ZX-10R ABS. But is it all about the ABS only, or are there any new features too?
In joint cooperation with Ohlins, Kawasaki has developed a new electronic steering damper. To provide the ideal level of damping, the system measures the rate of acceleration and deceleration as well as the rear wheel speed. The ABS might seem to be a feature that is out of place as the ZX-10R is a track ready machine, but this system was designed from the start to maximize performance.
The ABS system is named KIBS (Kawasaki Intelligent anti-lock Brake System) and the reason why it is called as intelligent is because it is the lightest and smallest unit ever built for a motorcycle. Additional sport-riding benefits of this system are rear-end lift suppression during hard braking, minimal kickback during ABS intervention, and increased rear brake control during downshifts.
2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R ABS Key Features
- NEW Öhlins-Kawasaki electronic steering damper reacts to current speed as well as rate of acceleration and deceleration to help provide the ideal amount of damping force across a wide range of riding scenarios
- Engine and chassis allow for linear power delivery
- Sport-Kawasaki Traction Control (S-KTRC) continuously monitors wheel speed, throttle position, engine rpm and a host of other data to help ensure the optimal amount of traction
- Advanced Kawasaki Intelligent Anti-lock Braking System monitors a wide range of data, and allows optimum wheelspin while enhancing rider control
- Power Mode selector allows riders to select power level and power delivery
- Aluminum frame has ideal strength and rigidity
- Big Piston Fork (BPF) helps maintain composure under braking
- Horizontal back-link rear suspension helps deliver smooth suspension action
- Slipper-type back-torque limiting clutch helps corner entry handling
- Race-oriented instrumentation offers riders a wealth of information
2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R ABS Technical Specifications (USA)
- Engine Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, inline-four
- Displacement 998cc
- Bore x Stroke 76.0 x 55.0 mm
- Compression Ratio 13.0:1
- Fuel System DFI® with four 47mm Keihin throttle bodies with oval sub-throttles, two injectors per cylinder
- Ignition TCBI with digital advance and Sport-Kawasaki Traction Control (S-KTRC)
- Transmission Six-speed
- Final Drive Chain
- Rake/Trail 25 Deg / 4.2 in.
- Front Tire Size 120/70 ZR17
- Rear Tire Size 190/55 ZR17
- Wheelbase 56.1 in.
- Front Suspension / wheel travel 43mm inverted Big Piston Fork (BPF), adjustable rebound and compression damping, spring preload adjustability / 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension / wheel travel Horizontal back-link with gas-charged shock, stepless, dual-range (low-/high-speed) compression damping, stepless rebound damping, fully adjustable spring reload / 5.5 in.
- Front Brakes Kawasaki Intelligent anti-lock Braking (KIBS), dual semi-floating 310mm petal discs with dual four-piston radial-mount calipers
- Rear Brakes KIBS-controlled, single 220mm petal disc with aluminum single-piston caliper
- Fuel Capacity 4.5 gal.
- Seat Height 32.0 in.
- Curb Weight 443.2 lbs.
- Overall length 81.7 in.
- Overall width 28.1 in.
- Overall height 43.9 in.
- Color Choices Lime Green/Metallic Spark Black, Pearl Flat White/Metallic Spark Black
- Warranty 12 Months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan 12, 24, 36, 48 months
2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R Price
- 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R with ABS is priced at $15,299
- 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R without ABS is priced at $14,299
For all the updates on new motorcycles, get our FREE email newsletter here.