Ducati has come with some of the most unique and designs in the recent years. The Multistrada and Diavel are two such examples. Talking about Diavel in specific, many people find the styling of the motorcycle unappealing (I don’t agree at all), but if you have ridden the motorcycle you would know that it is an excellent cruiser. But talking from the pillion’s perspective, the ride isn’t that great and this was one of the complaints with the Diavel.
While we assumed that the Diavel will remain this way, Ducati was planning to surprise us with a new Diavel model. At the 70th International Motorcycle Exhibition, better known as EICMA, Ducati has unveiled Diavel Strada, which is a pure touring Diavel model as it comes with a number of features only seen on hardcore cruisers.
2013 Ducati Diavel Strada Official Video
The Diavel Strada comes with the following bodily changes:
- A front windscreen
- Top loading saddlebags which are shaped to match the sporty character of the motorcycle (The saddlebags are claimed to provide 10 gallons (41 liters) of storage)
- The handlebars have been raised to make a more upright riding position (Have been moved up by 0.6 inches and back toward the rider by 2.36 inches)
- A bigger seat with more foam cushioning
- A back rest
- Grab rails
- Revised footpegs
- Heated grips
- Two auxiliary power outlets
All these additions increase the total mass of the Diavel to 540 pounds which is 13 pounds more than the standard Diavel. At the heart of the Diavel Strada is Ducati’s 1198 CC Testastretta V-Twin engine with cruising specific changes made to the intake and exhaust ports and adjusted cam timing. Braking power comes from four-piston, twin radially-mounted Brembo calipers and huge front 320mm discs complemented by Ducati Bosch-Brembo ABS. Other electronic aids include an 8 level Ducati Traction Control, three Riding Modes (Sport, Touring, Urban) and much more.
2013 Ducati Diavel Strada Price
The bike has been priced at $19,495 MSRP and is offered in a Race Titanium Matte paint scheme.
2013 Ducati Diavel Strada Technical Specifications
- TYPE: Testastretta 11°, L-Twin cylinder, 4 valve per cylinder, Desmodromic, liquid cooled
- DISPLACEMENT: 1198.4cc
- BORE X STROKE: 106 x 67.9mm
- COMPRESSION RATIO: 11.5:1
- POWER: 162hp (119kW) @ 9500rpm
- TORQUE: 94lb-ft (127.5Nm) @ 8000rpm
- FUEL INJECTION: Mitsubishi electronic fuel injection system, Mikuni elliptical throttle bodies with RbW
- EXHAUST: Lightweight 2-1-2 system with catalytic converter and two lambda probes. Twin aluminium mufflers
- GEARBOX: 6 speed
- PRIMARY DRIVE: Straight cut gears, ratio 1.84:1
- RATIO: 1=37/15 2=30/17 3=27/20 4=24/22 5=23/24 6=22/25
- FINAL DRIVE: Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 43
- CLUTCH: Light action, wet, multiplate clutch with hydraulic control. Self-servo action on drive, slipper action on over-run.
- FRAME: Tubular steel Trellis frame
- FRONT SUSPENSION: Marzocchi 50mm fully adjustable usd forks
- FRONT WHEEL: 14-spoke in light alloy 3.50 x 17
- FRONT TYRE: 120/70 ZR 17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
- REAR SUSPENSION: Progressive linkage with fully adjustable Sachs monoshock. Remote spring preload adjustment. Aluminium single-sided swingarm
- REAR WHEEL: 14-spoke in light alloy 8.00 x 17
- REAR TYRE: 240/45 ZR17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
- FRONT WHEEL TRAVEL: 120mm (4.7in)
- REAR WHEEL TRAVEL: 120mm (4.7in)
- FRONT BRAKE: 2 x 320mm semi-floating discs, radially mounted Monobloc Brembo callipers, 4-piston with ABS
- REAR BRAKE: 265mm disc, 2-piston floating calliper with ABS
Handlebar mounted instrumentation with LCD display: speed, rpm, time, coolant temp. Warning lights for: Neutral, turn signals, high-beam, rev-limit, DTC intervention, ABS status, oil pressure, fuel reserve. Tank mounted instrumentation with TFT colour display: gear selected, air temp, battery voltage, trips 1 & 2, fuel reserve trip, average and actual fuel consumption and speed, trip time, scheduled maintenance. Full status and/or management of Riding Modes, DTC, RbW and ABS.
Dimensions And Weight
- DRY WEIGHT: 216kg (476lb)
- WET WEIGHT(KERB): 245kg (540lb)
- SEAT HEIGHT: 770mm (30.3in)
- WHEELBASE: 1590mm (62.6in)
- RAKE: 28°
- TRAIL: 130mm (5.12in)
- FUEL TANK CAPACITY: 17l – (4.5 US gal)
- NUMBER OF SEATS: Dual seat
- STANDARD EQUIPMENT: Riding Modes, Power Modes, Ducati Safety Pack (ABS + DTC), RbW. 41 l (10.8 gal) side panniers, tourer seat, touring windshield, passenger back-rest, heated grips,two 12V power outlets, +20 mm higher handlebar
- WARRANTY: 24 months unlimited mileage
- MAINTENANCE SERVICE INTERVALS: 12.000km (7.500m) / 12 months
- VALVE CLEARANCE CHECK: 24.000km (15,000m)
Check out all the action from 2012 EICMA Show.